The new Federal law was created and signed by the President on December 19, 2007 in order to reduce the number of fatalities and injuries to children caused by suction entrapment in pools and spas. This act requires anti-entrapment drain systems to be installed in all public pools and spas. Because Homeowner Association’s pools and spas are open to its member and their guests they are included and must follow the requirements of the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act.
“The State of California amended Section 18942 and added Sections 116064.1 and 116064.2 to the Health and Safety Code requiring all swimming pools built before January 1, 2010, must retrofit with anti-entrapment devices no later than July 1, 2010.”
Public pools and spas must be equipped with Drain Covers that comply with ASME/ANSI performance standard. In addition, to having a drain cover or other anti-entrapment device that complies with this standard (ASME/ANSI), each pool and spa in the United States with a single main drain other than an unblockable drain shall be equipped, at a minimum, with 1 or more of the following devices or systems designed to prevent entrapment.
- Safety Vacuum Release System (SVRS): a vacuum release system capable of providing vacuum release at a suction outlet caused by a high vacuum occurrence due to a suction outlet flow blockage.
- Suction-Limiting Vent System: a suction-limiting vent system with a tamper resistant atmospheric opening.
- Gravity Drainage System: a gravity drainage system that utilizes a collector tank.
- Automatic Pump Shut – Off System: an automatic pump shut off system.
- Drain Disablement: a device or system that disables the drain.
In addition, those Association’s that have completed a retrofit for their swimming pool and spa in accordance with the standards of the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Act between December 19, 2007 and January 1, 2010 and have filed the required compliance statement with the California’s Department of Public Health prior to September 30, 2010 would not need additional retrofitting.